Friday, May 30, 2008

I have less than two months left...

It has been quite some time since I last gave an update about what is going on here in Melipilla. Well the short answer is not much. I haven't really met anybody, and Gino, our first friend here kind of turned out to be a weirdo. His friends were awesome, but we haven't really had the chance to do anything with them, plus they are just not my age. I went out with Carlos' niece and her friend one night, which was cool, but we did the clubbing thing which I really don't enjoy all that much. They were super nice, but I haven't heard from them in a few weeks. A couple weeks ago I hung out with this other girl Angie and I met at the beginning of our stay in Melipilla. She is really very nice, and I'll probably hang out with her friends again, even though I turned down a chance to do that last night, because I just was not up to it.

I think after living more or less alone in France two years ago, and then living alone here, I have really become used to it and I think it is somewhat my fault that I haven't met very many people. Plus I am constantly thinking towards the future and the fact that I am leaving in a couple months almost makes me not want to try. It kind of bothers me that I am so used to it, that spending Friday night watching TV and reading is perfectly satisfactory for me and often preferable to going out. I miss Magali too, and I guess this is a good thing, but every time I hang out with someone, I just keep wishing Magali were there, because it would just be better. I don't smoke, I don't like clubs, can't dance, and my Spanish is mediocre, which makes me not the most social being in Chile.

It's also hard because I can't understand everything, even though I assume that I should. Oh my Spanish is much improved, but I now realize how bad it was when I arrived. If I don't go to Santiago on the weekend (to hang out with my English speaking friends), I will spend pretty much most of the time alone. Thankfully Carlos has often invited me to eat with his family, but it's not the same as meeting people my own age.

But I really do like living in Melipilla. It's pleasant, and certainly different and interesting. I am looking forward to going home, but I hate to just sort of give up now and wait for the end. We'll see, things can change pretty quickly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this could have been me writing about Whitman. I know exactly how you feel, but hey, at least you're learning how to live on your own so you don't have to rely on others for happiness. I hope that doesn't sound depressing. But its a wonderful trait/skill to have. And you are coming home soon and you have amazing friends at home and Magali, so its just a case of the people you love not being where you are. That's Whitman for me. But at least you're in a sweet, interesting country and having an amazing experience! You'll look back and be proud. Don't worry. I completely identify.